文档搜索 > GENEROSTEEPRESBYTERIANCHU

GENEROSTEEPRESBYTERIANCHU

GENEROSTEE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (OLD) CEMETERY, Anderson County, SC
A.K.A.

Version 2.3, 7-Dec-2006, A089.TXT, A089


****************************************************************

REPRODUCING NOTICE:
-------------------
These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format for
profit, or presentation by any other organization, or persons.
Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must
obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal
representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb
archivist with proof of this consent.

Paul M Kankula - nn8nn
Seneca, SC, USA
Oconee County SC GenWeb Coordinator

Oconee County SC GenWeb Homestead
http://www.rootsweb.com/~scoconee/oconee.html

Oconee County SC GenWeb Tombstone Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~scoconee/cemeteries.html
http://www.usgwtombstones.org/southcarolina/oconee.html

****************************************************************


DATAFILE INPUT . : Paul M. Kankula at (visit above website) in Dec-2003
Debbie Kellogg in Oct-2006

DATAFILE LAYOUT : Paul M. Kankula at (visit above website) in Dec-2003

G.P.S. MAPPING . : ____________ at ____________ in _______

HISTORY WRITE-UP : Dr. Leon McDill Allison, Jr.

IMAGES ......... : ____________ at ____________ in _______

LOCATION WRITE-UP: ____________ at ____________ in _______

TRANSCRIPTION .. : Wendy Campbell at wcampbell4@hotmail.com



CEMETERY LOCATION:
------------------

>

Latitude N x Longitude W


CHURCH/CEMETERY HISTORY:
------------------------

From Memorial Marker:

This church, the first Associate Reformed Presbyterian congregation in what is
now Anderson County, was organized about 1790, about 1.5 miles SW of this site.
Rev. Robert Irwin, its first regular minister, served from 1803 until his death
in 1823. The first sanctuary on this site was a log building, replaced in 1828
by a frame sanctuary which served the congregation until 1897. The 1897
sanctuary burned in 1985 and was replaced by the present building, the fourth on
this site and the fifth in church history. In 1986, Generostee was the mother
church of three congregations; Midway, later called Concord, active 1796-1844;
Grove, active 1877-1947; and Iva, founded in 1895. The cemetery here includes
the graves of many early church families.

o----------o

Bicentennial History
Of Generostee
Associate Reformed
Presbyterian Church
Iva, South Carolina
by Leon McDill Allison, Jr.

Founding And Early History

Little can be said with certainty about the founding and early history of
Generostee Church. There are no records pertaining to Generostee's beginning.

Like many other old churches, Generostee got its name from a stream of
water that flows nearby. The name "Generostee" is an Indian word meaning "little
cedars".

It seems likely that Generostee Church was organized about 1790. Good Hope
Presbyterian Church in Iva, South Carolina celebrated its bicentennial in 1989,
and according to the information available, the two churches were founded about
the same time.

Generostee was founded by people of Scottish descent. From 1610 to 1700,
about 500,000 Scots moved from Scotland to Northern Ireland. From 1717 to 1790,
300,000 of these Scotch-Irish people, along with 75,000 Southern Scots, moved to
America. In 1764, Dr. Thomas Clark, often called "the father of the A.R.P. in
the South", came to America from Northern Ireland with 300 people, and
established a colony in Salem, New York. Some of these people moved to the Long
Cane Community in Abbeville District, South Carolina. Dr. Clark joined this
group in 1786, becoming the pastor of the Long Cane and Cedar Springs Churches.
It is rather certain that Generostee was established by some of these Scottish
people who moved to the Generostee Community.

Church Building

The first house of worship was about one and one-half miles southwest of
the present location. It is not known how long worship was held in the original
building.

The second building, the first on the present site, was constructed of
large hewn logs. Worship was held in this log building until 1828.

The third meeting house, erected in 1828, was a frame building, fifty by
sixty feet in size.

The fourth building was erected in 1897; most of the work being done by
the members. The building was dedicated on June 5, 1897. Two additional rooms
were added in 1952. This building was severely damaged by fire on the morning of
March 1, 1985. The insurance company declared the building a total loss.

The present building, the fifth in the church's history, was completed in
1986, one year after the loss of the previous building. Services were held for
the first time in the new building on March 16, 1986. Twenty-nine people
attended the first service. The building was dedicated on June 29, 1986.

Mr. Ben Johnston, Editor of The Associate Reformed Presbyterian, writing
about the new building in April 1986 said-

"Some members point out gleefully that the new building has restrooms. The
old building had not even a privy, 'just the woods', one member said.

But a well has been bored and Generostee's new home has running water, two
restrooms, two Sabbath School rooms, a pastor's study, and a sanctuary with
stained glass windows depicting the life of Christ."

Mr. Levis Baker served as chairman of the building committee. Other
members of the committee were: Mr. Ernest Evans, Mrs. Margaret Brown, and Mrs.
Cynthia Sears.

Ministers, 1803-1948

Rev. Robert Irwin, one of the seven ministers present when the Synod was
organized in 1803, was Generostee's first pastor. Mr. Irwin was a native of
Ireland and got most of his education in Scotland. He was installed in 1803 and
served as pastor until his death in 1823. This twenty year pastorate was the
only one he ever held. Mr. Irwin owned a house and a farm of some 250 acres. As
he had no children, he left this property to Generostee Church, upon the death
of his wife. The church rented this land until 1986, when it was sold to Mr.
Dick Campbell and Mr. Marcus Campbell.

After the death of Mr. Irwin in 1823, the church was vacant until 1830,
when Ebenezer Erskine Pressly became the second pastor. Mr. Pressly, the
youngest son of William and Elizabeth Hearst Pressly, was born on December 23,
1808, in the lower part of Abbeville District. He graduated from Miami College
in Ohio in 1826 and studied theology under Dr. John T. Pressly. Mr. Pressly was
installed as pastor of the Generostee and Due West congregations on August 7,
1830. After giving up the work at generostee in 1838, he served as pastor of the
Due West Church for thirty years, president of Erskine College, and professor in
Erskine Theological Seminary. In the centennial sketch of his life, he is called
"the father of Erskine College". Mr. Pressly was president of Anderson College
from 1849-1852. On August 21, 1860, Mr. Pressly was accidentally killed when he
was thrown from his buggy while on his way to fill an appointment at Little
Mountain.

Rev. J.C. Chalmers served as pastor from 1840-1856. Mr. Chalmers was born
in Newberry County, South Carolina on April 26, 1811. He was the son of Captain
James and Priscilla Clark Chalmers. He and L. McDonald were the first students
to study at Erskine Theological Seminary. In May 1840, he was installed as
pastor of Generostee, Shiloh, and Midway congregations. He died on July 7, 1887
at Winnsboro, South Carolina. According to the centennial sketch, the Chalmers'
pastorate was the most prosperous period in the history of Generostee Church.
"On every Sabbath, the house was filled with devout worshipers- many of them
coming on foot or horseback eight and even ten miles".

Rev. William Laurens Pressly was pastor from 1862- 1871. He was born in
Due West, South Carolina on May 3, 1837, the son of Rev. Ebenezer Erskine
Pressly, who has served as the pastor of Generostee. He was educated at Erskine
College and Erskine Theological Seminary. He was installed as pastor of
Generostee and Concord in 1862. Mr. Pressly gave up the work at Generostee in
1871 to go to Due West, where he served as the pastor of the Due West Church for
seventeen years. He taught in Erskine Theological Seminary and became president
of the institution in 1889. His death came on June 8, 1906.

Rev. Robert Foster Bradley served as pastor from 1873- 1883. He was born
in Abbeville County, South Carolina on September 22, 1846, the son of William
Kid Bradley. He was a graduate of Erskine College and Erskine Theological
Seminary. He was installed as pastor of Generostee and Concord congregations on
September 5, 1873. After leaving Generostee in 1883, he became the first pastor
of the Troy congregation. In 1891, he accepted the work at Long Cane, where he
continued until the end of his life in 1932. Like many other early A.R.P.
ministers, Mr. Bradley engaged in farming in addition to his pastoral duties.

Rev. Calvin Pressly was pastor from 1884- 1895. He was born at Starkville,
Mississippi on March 19, 1847, the eldest son of Rev. David Pressly. During the
Civil War, he served with distinction in the famous Cavalry of General N. B.
Forrest. Mr. Pressly was educated at Erskine College and Erskine Theological
Seminary. In 1884, he became pastor of Generostee, Concord, and Grove
congregations. He relinquished this work on January 2, 1895 to take up work in
Milam County, Texas. His death occurred on December 19, 1919.

Rev. Joseph Lowry Pressly was stated supply at Generostee from January 1,
1896 until September 30, 1896. Mr. Pressly was born on February 5, 1868 at
Moffatsville, South Carolina, the son of Rev. William Laurens Pressly and
Frances Elizabeth Wideman. His father was Generostee's fourth pastor. He was a
graduate of Erskine College and Erskine Theological Seminary. Mr. Pressly never
had a call but was assigned to his charges by the Synod or by the Board of Home
Missions. He died on February 12, 1936 in Covington County, Arkansas.

Rev. John Victor Black served as pastor from 1897- 1903. He was born on
April 20, 1871 at Frankfort, Indiana, the son of Elihu Black and Harriet Shaw
Black. He received his collegiate training at Monmouth College and his
theological training at Erskine Theological Seminary. He was installed at
Generostee and Grove in 1897 and continued in this work until 1903. Mr. Black
preached his last sermon at Generostee on October 11, 1903, preaching on the
text of II Corinthians 13:11.

Rev. William Washington McMorries supplied the pulpit in 1904 and 1905. He
was born in Newberry, South Carolina on August 17, 1859, the son of John
McMorries and Dorcas Elizabeth Hawthorne. He attended Due West Female College
and graduated from Erskine College in 1880.

Rev, Lemuel Isham Echols was pastor from 1906- 1910. He was born on
December 23, 1868 in Lincoln County, Tennessee, the son of William J. Echols and
Frances Catherine Barnes. He was a graduate of Erskine College and Erskine
Theological Seminary. He became pastor of Generostee, Iva, and Grove in 1906.
After leaving Generostee in 1910, he served several other churches in North
Carolina and Georgia, and served four years as the field representative of the
Board of Home Missions. He died on December 17, 1945 at Hopewell, Georgia and is
buried at Oak Hill, Alabama.

Rev. Samuel Jefferson Hood was pastor from 1911- 1920. He was born in
Mecklenburg County, North Carolina on July 24, 1881, the son of John R. Hood and
Mary Hunter. He was educated at Bain Academy, Erskine College, Erskine
Theological Seminary, Union Seminary at Richmond, and Duke University. He became
pastor of Generostee, Iva, and Grove in 1911. He was installed on December 18,
1911 by Rev. W.B. Lindsey and Rev. G.G. Parkinson. He preached his last sermon
at Generostee on May 30, 1920. According to his diary, during his nine year
pastorate at Generostee, Iva, and Grove, Mr. Hood preached 1200 sermons,
administered 63 baptisms, performed 23 marriages, conducted 40 funerals, held 54
communion services, and made 6000 pastoral visits. There were 63 accessions and
40 losses by death and dismissal. At the end of Mr. Hood's pastorate in 1920,
Generostee had 57 members; Iva had 48, and Grove 27, making a total membership
of 132. Mr. Hood died on June 21, 1943 at Rutherford, North Carolina and is
buried at Oakwood Cemetery, Gastonia, North Carolina.

Robert Neil Baird served as pastor from 1921- 1940. He was born at Cotton
Plant, Mississippi on December 31, 1896, the son of Rev. J.W. Baird and Anna
Marie Brice. He studied in the grammar school and high school in Covington,
Tennessee and Due West, South Carolina. His college and seminary education were
received at Erskine. He became pastor of Generostee, Iva, and Grove on June 10,
1921 and remained at that work until February 1940. In 1945, he suffered a
stroke from which he never recovered.

Rev. Ebenezer Gettys was Generostee's pastor from 1940- 1943. Mr. Gettys
was born in York County, South Carolina on September 26, 1895. His parents were
William E. Gettys and Alice Rosina Hogue. He served from 1917- 1919 with the
American Expeditionary Forces of the U.S. Army in France. He was a graduate of
Erskine College and Erskine Theological Seminary. From 1924- 1939, he and his
wife, the former Mary Margaret Millen, served as missionaries in India. He
served as Synod's Director of Christian Education. For some twenty- five years,
he was the editor of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian and the Church School's
Adult Quarterly. For thirty years he was the Executive Secretary of the Board of
Foreign Missions. He served as Stated Clerk of Second Presbytery from 1941-
1970. He was the author of Studies in Church History of the Associate Reformed
Presbyterian Church (1954). In collaboration with Rev.W.C. Alexander, he wrote
We Believe and Teach (1957). Mr. Gettys suffered a severe stroke in 1977 and
died on August 30, 1981.

Rev. Leon McDill Allison, Sr. served as pastor from 1944- 1948. He was
born at Hickory Grove, South Carolina on May 30, 1896, the son of John Kennedy
Allison and Lula McDill Allison. He attended the public schools in Hickory
Grove, South Carolina and studied at the University of South Carolina. He taught
school, worked as a rural mailman, and engaged in banking before entering
Erskine Theological Seminary in the fall of 1930 to prepare for the Gospel
ministry. He graduated from Erskine Theological Seminary in 1932 and was
ordained by First Presbytery. After serving as pastor of the Coddle Creek
Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church for twelve years, he became pastor of the
Generostee, Iva, and Grove congregations in 1944. He served as pastor of Pressly
Memorial A.R.P. Church in Statesville, North Carolina from 1948- 1951, the year
of his death. Mr. Allison was the last installed pastor of the Generostee
congregation. Since his resignation in 1948, the congregation has been served by
supply pastors.

Supply Pastors 1948 - 1990

Rev. Walter Harold Boyd served as student supply in 1948 and 1949, during
his senior year at Erskine Theological Seminary. Mr. Boyd was born at
Monticello, Arkansas on June 22, 1925, the son of Samuel Malcolm Boyd and Thelma
Lamb Boyd. Mr. Boyd is now retired and is living in Monticello, Arkansas. His
physical health is poor.

Rev. Charles Lummus Mitchell was student supply from 1949- 1951. He was
born at Edgemoor, South Carolina on December 2, 1922, the son of George Franklin
Mitchell and Ethel Williams Mitchell. He studied in the public schools of
Edgemoor and is a graduate of Erskine College and Erskine Seminary. He served
with the United States Air Corps during World War II. He is now retired and is
living in Rock Hill, South Carolina. He continues to preach whenever he has the
opportunity.

Rev. Ebenezer Gettys, who served as regular pastor from 1940- 1943,
returned to serve as stated supply in 1951. There was a brief interruption of
his supply work in 1970- 1971. During this time, Rev. H.L. Hoffman, a Methodist
minister and a member of the faculty of Erskine College, supplied the pulpit.
Dr. Gettys shared the supply work with Dr. James Patterson Pressly from 1971 -
1976. He continued to serve as stated supply until a severe stroke made it
necessary for him to retire in the summer of 1977. He died in the Latham Nursing
Home in Anderson, South Carolina.

Dr. James Patterson Pressly, who shared the supply work with Dr. Ebenezer
Gettys from 1971- 1976, was born at due West, South Carolina on August 25, 1882,
the son of John L. Pressly and Josie LeGal Pressly. He was a graduate of Erskine
College and Erskine Theological Seminary and did additional study at Princeton
Theological Seminary. His supply work at Generostee was done during the years of
his retirement, which he spent in his home town of Due West, South Carolina,
where he served as the pastor of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church for
forty-seven years. His death occurred on February 26, 1979.

Dr. Leon McDill Allison, Jr., the present supply pastor, began his work at
Generostee in the summer of 1977. Mr. Allison was born in Hickory Grove, South
Carolina, on November 19, 1917, the son of Leon McDill Allison, Sr. and Jessie
Emeline Whitesides. He was educated in the public schools of Hickory Grove and
Due West, South Carolina, and Davidson, North Carolina. He is a graduate of
Davidson College and Erskine Theological Seminary and received advanced degrees
from Princeton Theological Seminary and Union Theological Seminary in Richmond,
Virginia. He taught in the public schools of North Carolina and served in the
United States Army during World War II before entering Erskine Seminary in 1946
to prepare for the Gospel ministry. He began his supply work at Generostee after
serving as Dean of Erskine Theological Seminary from 1959- 1976.

Lay Officers And Leaders 1900 -1990

The following have served as Elders: J.W. Stevenson, W.W. Brown, T.A.
Stevenson, J.R. Simpson, J.M. Campbell, W.D. Brown, Lewis A. Campbell, Joe S.
Brown, W. Foster Simpson, M.G. Evans, Frank Clinkscales, John R. Brown, Joe F.
Campbell, George Evans, Mose P. Arnold, Grady McKee, Frank Taylor, Earle Brown,
Stewart Brown, and Ernest Evans. It is worthy of special mention that W.D. Brown
served as Elder for fifty- two and a half years.

The following have served as Deacons: J.W. Sherard, J.M. Campbell, J.M.
Stacks, David Brown, D.J. Sherard, L.A. Campbell, J.L. Stevenson, Paul Brown,
Foster Simpson, Joe F. Campbell, George Evans, John R. Brown, Earle Brown, Grady
McKee, Stewart Brown, Edwin Clinkscales, Thurman Evans, Frank Taylor, J. Laurie
Brown, Ernest Evans, Francis Newton, and Aaron Woodruff.

The following have served as Clerks of Session: J.W. Stevenson, T.A.
Stevenson, J.M. Campbell, W.D. Brown, and George Evans.

The following have served as Treasurer: John Stevenson, Neil Campbell, and
Joe F. Campbell. Mr. Campbell has served since January 3, 1952.

Mrs. Stewart Brown has served as Secretary- Treasurer of the Sabbath
School since January 6, 1966.

Mrs. J.A. Clinkscales served as teacher of the adult class of the Sabbath
School from April 1962- December 16, 1979. Supply pastor, L.M. Allison, has
taught the class since that time.

Mrs. Joe F. Campbell has served as agent for The Associate Reformed
Presbyterian since 1979.

Mrs. Jean Latham is the present pianist. Mrs. Ed Clinkscales, Mrs. Grier
Brown, Mrs. Laura Baker, and Mrs. Cynthia Sears have served as pianists in
recent years.

The Varina Campbell Brown Sabbath School Class was named in honor of Mrs.
Dave Brown who gave so much of her time to working with the young people. In
1972, Mr. Frank Harris was teacher of this class and Mike McKee, David Brown,
Varina Brown, and Jimmy Evans were serving as class officers.

Mrs. Herschel Taylor taught the Children's Class in the Sabbath School for
many years. There is no children's class at present. There are two children on
the Cradle Roll.

Ministerial Sons Of Generostee

Twelve Associate Reformed Presbyterian ministers came out of the
Generostee congregation. These were: J.S. Pressly, Laughlin McDonald, J.L.
Young, J.N. Young, G.G. Gordon, N.M. Gordon, Thomas Turner, William Turner,
Alexander Ransom, E.E. Pressly, Jr., T.B. Stewart, and Vernon Latham.

Daughters Of Generostee

Generostee is "the mother" of three congregations: Concord (1796), Grove
(1877), and Iva (1895). Concord, first called Midway, was discontinued in 1844.
Grove was discontinued in 1947. The twenty-one charter members of the Iva
Congregation had been members at Generostee.

Special Occasions

The fourth church building, which was virtually destroyed by fire on March
1, 1985, was dedicated on June 5, 1897. Dr. W.L. Pressly preached the dedication
sermon, using as his text Haggai 2:9. Rev. A.L. Patterson gave the dedication
prayer.

From 1900- 1966, special services were an important part of the life of
the Generostee Congregation. The following ministers conducted special services:
Ira Caldwell, J.W. Pressly, James Boyce, J.V. Black, D.G. Caldwell, H.E.
Wallace, W.W. Orr, C.N. Black, W.L. Pressly, W.W. McMorries, R.A. Lummus, C.M.
Boyd, A.J. Ransom, L.E. Echols, W.A. McCauley, S.J. Hood, S.W. Reid, E.B.
Hunter, J.A. McKeown, M.R. Plaxco, J.P. Pressly, C.B. Williams, I.N. Kennedy,
C.B. Betts, L.T. Pressly, J.H. Buzhardt, R.M. Bell, W.W. Parkinson, R.W. Carson,
J.C. Smith, B. Dale White, R.E. Craig, J.P. Johnston, W.C. Alexander, E. Gettys,
F.W. Sherrill, L.M. Allison,Jr., E.E. Strong, K.J. Morris, Paul L. Sherrill, Roy
E. Beckham, Grady Oates, Charles L. Mitchell, Walter J. Boyd, E.F. Gettys, W.M.
Blakely, J.L. Maloney, and Vernon Latham. The last meeting was conducted in the
summer of 1966 by J.P. Pressly. Many people joined the church during these
special services. There were fifteen accessions at the summer meeting of 1921
and fourteen at the summer meeting of 1935. In our day of inflated prices, it is
amazing to see how little the visiting ministers were given. $15.00 was paid to
Rev. S.W. Reid for conducting the summer meeting in 1917. Rev. J. Calvin Smith
received $18.40 for conducting the summer meeting in the depression year of
1934.

Homecoming was observed on November 21, 1915. Rev. T.B. Stewart was the
visiting speaker. Dinner was served on the grounds.

A Homecoming and Dedication service was held on July 26, 1953. Rev. E.E.
Strong preached the sermon.

On May 1, 1955, the congregation observed a homecoming and Dedication
service once again. More than one hundred fifty people registered, some coming
from distant places. Rev. L. M. Allison, Jr., son of the former pastor, preached
the sermon, "A Call to Arms". Rev. C.L. Mitchell, former student supply, led in
prayer. Dr. E. Gettys, supply pastor, led in the service of dedication of the
new facilities. At a cost of nearly $2500, a new hardwood floor, new pews, and a
new heating system had been installed and forty new Bible Songs had been
purchased. Two new rooms and a porch had been added to the physical plant prior
to the special occasion.

A Homecoming service was observed on September 2, 1962.

Dr. J. Calvin Smith conducted a Psalm Singing on the Sabbath afternoon of
October 3, 1982. This special event was part of the Bicentennial Celebration of
the A.R.P. denomination. Generostee continues to use Psalms exclusively in the
worship services.

The present Church building, the fifth in the church's history, was
dedicated on June 29, 1986 at 3:00 PM. About one hundred and fifty people were
in attendance. Supply Pastor L.M. Allison, presided over the service and
preached the sermon, "What It Takes To Make A Good Church", based on Acts 2: 37-
47. Dr. James M. Bell, Moderator of Second Presbytery, brought greetings from
Presbytery and gave the prayer of dedication. Mrs. Grier Brown, organist of the
Iva Congregation, served as pianist. A quartet from the Iva congregation
rendered special music.

Generostee observed its bicentennial on November 4, 1990. Dr. W.F.H.
Kuykendall taught the Sabbath School lesson. Rev. Charles L. Mitchell, former
supply pastor, brought the message at morning worship, which was conducted by
Rev. L.M. Allison, Jr., present supply pastor. Lunch was served in the new
Fellowship Hall. In the afternoon, the Fellowship Hall was dedicated and Rev. J.
Calvin Smith conducted a Psalm Sing. Dr. E.R. Young, moderator of the General
Synod of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, brought greetings.


Missions And Evangelism

On August 24, 1947, the Session approved the operation of a bus to bring
people to the worship services.

Generostee participated in the denominational five- year program of
"Evangelism - the New Life Movement". Mr. Joe F. Campbell served as the chairman
of the committee. Mrs. Joe F. Campbell, Mrs. W.D. Brown, and Stewart Brown were
members of the committee.

On October 9, 1966, two of the young people of the congregation requested
that the congregation or Sabbath School undertake the support of a child in a
foreign land at the cost of $10.00 a month.

Mr. Earle Brown was appointed congregational chairman of Evangelism
December 7, 1969.

In an effort to participate in the denomination's program of outreach, the
Session set a goal of seeking two new members for 1979 and two new members for
1980.

On March 4, 1979, Generostee gave $50.00 for mission work in Pakistan as a
memorial to Dr. J.P. Pressly, former supply pastor.

On September 5, 1982, the session endorsed World Vision's Love Loaf
project to raise funds to help Afghan refugees in Pakistan.

On January 19, 1983, the Session approved a gift of $50.00 to the South
America Mission as a memorial to Mrs. Jessie Allison Summers, wife of a former
pastor and mother of the present supply pastor.

On February 19, 1984, Mr. George Evans was appointed chairman of the
denominational Capital Funds Campaign for Church Extension.

On January 6, 1985, the Session approved a special offering to help feed
the hungry in Ethiopia.

Mr. And Mrs. David Simmons and their children visited the congregation on
September 13, 1981 and again on August 26, 1990. On each occasion, they
presented their work in Peru, where they serve as missionaries for the South
American Mission. Mrs. Simmons is the daughter of the present supply pastor,
Rev. L.M. Allison.

Additional Physical Improvements

Two Sabbath School rooms and a porch were added to the fourth church
building in 1952.

The interior of the church was painted in 1953.

New pews, a heating system, and new windows were installed in 1955. Forty
new Bible Songs were purchased in 1955.


New pulpit furniture and two matching offering plates were purchased in
1956.

A new piano was purchased in 1957. This instrument was destroyed when the
church building burned in 1985.

A granite marker, with the names of Generostee's ministers, was erected in
the churchyard in 1957. This marker was given by Mr. and Mrs. Joe F. Campbell.

The church building was painted in 1959.

Mr. and Mrs. William Hunt donated a baptismal bowl in 1976, in memory of
Dr. J.P. Pressly, Mr. Hunt's grandfather and former supply pastor.

Many physical gifts were given for the present church building, which was
completed in 1986. An anonymous friend provided funds to finance the digging of
a well to provide water for the new structure. Mrs. Jean Latham, present
pianist, donated the present piano in memory of her husband, Rev. Vernon Latham,
a son of the congregation. Mr. and Mrs. Joe F. Campbell gave the communion
table. Mrs. Herschel Taylor gave the offering plates. Mrs. Thurman Evans and her
children gave Bible Songs, in memory of her late husband. Dr. James H. Young,
surgeon from Anderson, South Carolina, donated the pulpit Bible. "The Woodmen of
the World" provided an American Flag and a Christian flag for use in the
sanctuary. Five stained glass windows were given as follows: In memory of Mr.
and Mrs. William David Brown by Stewart and Margaret Brown; In memory of Mr. and
Mrs. George V. Harris by Stewart and Margaret Brown; In memory of Mr. and Mrs.
William David Brown by Lois B. Lane; In memory of Mr. and Mrs. Mason Evans by
Dr. Sue O'Rorke and Dr. J.A. Evans; In memory of Mr. James L. Brown by Mrs.
James L. Brown and children. Locust Hill Baptist Church, in Traveler's Rest,
South Carolina, donated the pews and the pulpit.

The driveways and yard were surfaced with asphalt in 1987.

On September 24, 1989, the congregation voted to build a Fellowship Hall.
Mr. Levis Baker, a member of the congregation, was employed to do the
construction. The building was completed in 1990 and is being dedicated as a
part of the bicentennial celebration November 4, 1990. Mr. Frankie Newton served
as chairman of the building committee. Other members of the committee were: Mr.
Ernest Evans, Mr. Aaron Woodruff, Mrs. Margaret Brown, and Mrs. Cynthia Sears.

Families

Names of some of the early families that had passed away at the time of
the centennial celebration of the denomination are as follows: Boyds, Carlisles,
Gordons, McDonalds, Leslies, Robinsons, Hendersons, Wylies, Presslys, Lusks,
McGills, and Buchanans. (Centennial History, p. 478)

Names of families, 1900- 1990: Stevenson, Brown, Simpson, Sherard,
Campbell, Stacks, Hamilton, Harris, Hicks, Manning, Patterson, Morgan, Wiles,
Burris, Young, Burdette, Watt, Broadwell, Sanders, McCalister, Burriss, Black,
Charping, Ranson, Latham, Seigler, Evans, Gentry, Parnell, Cook, Arnold,
Clinkscales, McKee, Wilson, Dicks, Baker, Chambers, Cox, Davis, Dutton, Fleming,
Hoyes, Holcombe, Jordan, Loftis, Lewis, Mitchell, Newton, O'Rorke, Revis,
Sanders, Sears, Taylor, Timms, Watson, and Woodruff.

Generostee's Future

In the recent evaluation of the total program of the Associate Reformed
Presbyterian Church, the General Synod expressed the hope "that a program of
revitalization be developed for declining churches." (1989 Minutes of Synod, p.
251) Generostee is one of the many declining churches in the denomination.
Although there are sixty- five names on the church roll, only twenty members can
be called active. There are only two children in the congregation. Those
discouraging statistics present a two- fold challenge to Generostee Church. The
congregation is challenged to reach out and bring in additional members. There
are some families in the community which need to be brought into the fellowship
of Generostee Church. The twenty active members are challenged to dedicated
service for the Master. If twenty- one people love the Lord with all their
hearts and love other people like they love themselves, exciting things will
begin to happen. God has been faithful to Generostee Church for two hundred
years. God will continue to be faithful to Generostee Church because He is the
unchanging God. The question for the members and friends of Generostee Church is
"Will we be faithful to Him?"

Contributed by Marilyn Curts with permission from Mr. Dr. L. McDill Allison

o----------o

HISTORY OF ANDERSON COUNTY

Main street. It was completed and opened for services with appropriate
dedicatory exercises in 1902; Reverend Hugh Murchison, its first pastor.

The first Associate Reform Presbyterian Church in the county
was Generostee, on Little Generostee Creek. The date of its organization
is uncertain, but Reverend Robert Irwin, its first pastor, was installed in
1800, and in the beautiful custom of that early day, he remained with that
congregation until his death in 1823. He was fifty-eight years old when
he entered the ministry. Mr. Irwin had no children, and his farm of 250
acres, located near the church, by his will became the property of the
congregation at the death of his wife; to be used as a home for the pastors
of the church, the first parsonage in the county.

Mrs. Irwin lived thirty years after he husband's death, but her
hospitable doors were opened so wide to the ministers, that her home
almost fulfilled its destiny during her life time.

Mr. Irwin was succeeded by the Reverend Mr Pressley, who had
grown up under his preaching. Mr. Pressley also entered the ministry
late, being forty years old when he began. Both of these men married
late in life, and both lived to be very old. Neither left any children. One of
them lived on one side of Generostee Creek, the other on the opposite.
They were both pastors of but one church, and held long pastorates.

Gleaned from: Traditions & History of Anderson County
by Louise Ayer Vandiver.

o----------o

Founded ca. 1790

Near Iva, S.C., Moffett Academy established by John Moffett was near this
church. Pastors have included Robert Irwin, E.E. Pressley, J.C. Chalmers, W.L.
Pressly, P.F. Bradley, Calvin Pressly, J.V. Black, L.I. Nichols, S.J. Hood, R.O.
Baird, E. Gettys, L.M. Allison, W.H. Boyd, C.L. Mitchell, J.P. Pressly.

Markers at the Church Cemetery include: David Pressley, d. 14 May 1834, age 75
and Martha Sherard, consort of Alex Sherard, 4 July 1844 at 76 years. The
deceased came from Ireland about 1 June 1790.


TOMBSTONE TRANSCRIPTION NOTES:
------------------------------

a. = age at death
b. = date-of-birth
d. = date-of-death
h. = husband
m. = married
p. = parents
w. = wife


Parrott, Nathaniel b. December 21, 1784 d. July 7, 1860
Pressley, Ann b. ? d. November 17, 1848, age 86
Pressley, David b.? d. May 11, 1834, age about 78
Pressley, Esther b.? d. November 28, 1848, age about 80
Sullivan, Margaret h. Kelley Sullivan b. September 20, 1801 d. August 11, 1845
Watt, Samuel S. b. February 28, 1824 d. June 6, 1861

Additional markers discovered by Gary F Flynn - KE8FD on 6-Dec-2006

E.A.P.
E.P.
H. Rob, 1835
J.B.P.
T.H.

">
  •   推荐文档
  • ">
      推荐文档
  • ">
  • 设为首页 | 加入收藏 | 昂纲搜索

    All Rights Reserved Powered by 文档下载网

    Copyright © 2011
    文档下载网内容来自网络,如有侵犯请和我们联系。tousu#anggang.com
    返回顶部